Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Slow News Day?

There was a classic West Wing episode about the types of absurdity that come out on a slow news day. [Check out this handy-dandy WW episode guide.]

Today might just be that day. (Alternatively, the bracket obsession I'll post soon in "Cured Madness" is worse than I could have even imagined.)

ESPN one-ups its own over-the-top publicity stunts by having the Leader of the Free World make his bracket selections on SportsCenter. Then Krzyzewski ends up on the CNN Ticker for bitching about Obama not picking the Blue Devils to get to the Final Four.

I'm sure this story is crazier, but nothing will top 538.com's Nate Silver's return to his dorky statistical analysis of sport (his calling before becoming one of the best political bloggers with a penchant and talent for statistical analysis). (I think Silver might have been a little goofy from his time at Austin at the SXSW festival, because both of his most recent posts [note the disclaimer] seem more appropriate to April 1 than אסרו חג of St. Patrick's Day.)

Silver presents the statistical argument that Obama was favoring teams from electoral college swing states in making his selections. Enjoy.

No comments: