Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ah, But is it Good for the Jews?

Christopher Hitchens's latest article in Slate calls attention to the rabble-rousing of the Israeli Army's Chief Rabbinate and the general moral ickiness of some masterful cultural artifacts of biblical and rabbinic Judaism.

Instead of, well, getting into how icky this and the other stories beginning to pour out into the Israeli press about atrocities during the latest war in Gaza make me feel, I'll just point out for the moment how it is the writer like Hitchens who is, in my not in the least bit humble opinion, "our" best friend here, and the Jewish community in Israel and the Diaspora ought to have the difficult conversation(s) that needs to be had.

It brings me no gladness to say it but say it I will - we might be facing a problem at least as complicated as the one Muslims throughout the Western world have faced ever since "terrorism" became synonymous with "follower of Islam." That is not a place the Jewish people can afford to go.

No comments: