Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Ironic University Names for $400

Some of my readers (ok, one reader) has commented that, though he's appreciated the heavy stuff that's dominated the blog since Purim, he misses the quizzes. I'll try to do better.

First of all, everyone should make Sporcle part of their daily fun. Pick a new quiz or two of the 3-ish that they post every day, and then enjoy some random fun with the buttons at the top of the webpage. I find that most of the hardest quizzes are the "Name every movie actor X was in" and that (no surprise here) sports, geography, word games, and certain trivia knowledge that I developed consciously (as tools for academic team and Jeopardy! less than "cocktail party tricks" [in part, perhaps, because I don't attend cocktail parties and can't imagine someone letting me do one of my tricks at one even if I did]) as my sweet spots. I'll take you down on the U.S. Presidents, State Capitols, or countries of any continent any day of the week.

Second, all should become more acquainted with Mental Floss (though for the life of me I can generate no interest whatsoever in the absurd "Genius Tournament") which is the source of most (all?) of the quizzes I've posted thus far. The "brain games" they post daily are usually more fun than their quizzes (which are rarely sporcle style and more often matching or multiple choice and, often, totally ridiculous).

This past week, Mental Floss has had a guest blogger, Kevin Roose, author of The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University, a Brown University senior who spent a semester in residence at Falwell's Liberty University (see title of this post), and each post is pretty fun. Including his "sample test questions" post (I aced it).

No comments: