Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Friday, November 7, 2008

"Timeless Truth" Upturned?

One of the tried and true pride-points of living in America is that we are a nation that has only expanded rights over the course of our history, never having moved backwards to limit individual rights more than they were before.

In the light of our good friends in California, now bringing the passed-Proposition 8 to court, I ask the following questions:

1. Is the "tried and true pride-point" actually historically correct?

2. Does the passing of Proposition 8 and other similar measures in other states disrupt the pride-point, or are we just referring to the liberal move of the federal government, not individual states?

My our children have the pleasure of laughing in our generation's collective face by overturning blow-harded attempts to "protect the institution of marriage."

No comments: