Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Friday, April 10, 2009

In Praise of Joe Posnanski

I've written about Joe Posnanski before (here, here, and here), but that was before I found his blog and actually read a good number of his posts. (I had been picking Joe's articles for SI.com up whenever they were highlighted on the main page and looked interesting. Now I've subscribed to his blog through Google reader.)

I love this guy - he's my new favorite sportswriter-cum-goofball.

Reasons? Let me count the way:

1. He brought my attention to an insane fantasy baseball league with crazy owners (including Bill James and Curt Schilling) where each owner picks a team and gets to play the all-time greats on that team. Not only that, but in this league (theoretically played out through statistical simulations, I imagine) the Yankees somehow didn't make the playoffs and the Expos somehow made the LCS. And Bob Feller is terrible.

2. He brought my attention to an unbelievable simulation program of the "Let's Make a Deal" odds that, perhaps a little sketchily, seems to guarantee a 73% success rate (when I'm pretty sure it should be only 67% - both Joe and I got 73 though on a 100 tries).

3. This giggle out loud article about the Snuggie phenomenon sweeping the nation and other "infoco" (cross between an informercial and a commercial, though being that an infomercial is actually an information commercial, maybe we should just call it an informermercial).

4. In the Snuggie article, he includes the following sentence:
I am entirely baffled about why religious is spelled e-l-i while sacrilegious goes i-l-e. I suspect that this is based on the word “sacrilege,” but still, it bothers me.
5. His wife has a blog on his website. Now I'm subscribed to that too.

No comments: