Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Advice for Those of You Interacting with Jewish Grandmothers

The following may or may not be inspired by repeated interactions with my in-laws and general family tensions surrounding the ironic holiday of freedom.

For the record, I find my grandmother to be more like the grandmother in this little article by Mike Alvear, and T's grandmother, aka Savti, to be cuddlier, as far as I can tell.

But it contains an interesting and insightful observation on conservatives, one that I think continues to highlight two intractable challenges: the liberal paradox (e.g., everyone should have the right to say what they believe unless they believe something immoral) and maintaining a pluralism of opinions when some of them are more restrictive and others more permissive (Rabbi Roth's hope).

No comments: