Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dateline: 1854?

I was reading over Shabbat about the opening of a new religious seminary in central Europe aimed at creating a new generation of clergy versed in the vernacular language and culture of the community's constituents instead of shipping in backward thinking reactionary clerics who harked back to a different time.

Was I reading a newspaper article from 1854 about the opening of the Jewish Theological Seminary of Breslau, the forerunner to the founded-in-1886 Jewish Theological Seminary of America?

Nope.

An article about the Buhara Institute in Berlin. In the Newsweek from March 21, 2009.

I don't know much about the emergence of a European Islam (well, other than the failed attempts at Tours in 732 and the ultimate ass-whooping in Granada in 1492), but I like its promise, especially relative to its Arabian-, African-, and Central-Asian- cousins.

No comments: