Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Translating Public Speech and Private Speech

An observation being back in the US:

In Israel, most of my private conversations are in English.
But public discourse - in class, supermarkets, cabs/busses, et c. - takes place in Hebrew.

In spite of the significant amount of Hebrew exposure I'm getting in Israel, coming back to the US was not jarring for me in terms of private conversations. Rather, it was the public spaces where I felt most ill-at-east - needing to remind myself, again and again, in a supermarket to ask for the aluminum tins and not the חד-פעמי stuff, et c.

This begins, I think, to outline the substantive differences between life in Israel and life back home.

1 comment:

NarshBed said...

The substantive difference between Israel and America is what language is used in public places?

I thought it was whether we could get away with wearing tight pants.

Seriously, didn't quite get this one...