Egocentrism

My photo
Brookline, MA, United States
I'll post rants here, and musings; articles and thoughts about articles. I'll keep it quite complex and yet astoundingly simple: whatever it is I am interested in at any given moment.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Rational Argument Against the Pseudo-Science of the BCS

So I've basically stopped reading Slate, which is pretty depressing, but I can't seem to fit it in and one of my personality quirks is wanting to catch up on everything that I've missed (now about 2.5 weeks worth, I think) which makes starting again even more daunting.

Lucky for me, I noticed the following piece on SI that linked back to a Slate article by Bill James. James, properly identified as "the grandfather of sabermetrics," puts forward an intelligent and compelling argument for inciting a statisticians' boycott of the preposterous BCS.

The argument speaks to the basic fairness of an ideal sports climate, one that, for better or worse, is replicated, as far as I can tell, in NCAA Baseball and Basketball for Division I-A and in football for the lower divisions. And the NFL. Note, here, the "for better or worse" - nothing's perfect. But the BCS is all about lunacy - and one that pretends to use statistics in an objective way that actually play no helpful role. Such was the fundamental shift James caused in baseball - the introduction of helpful statistics.

Doubt I'm gonna stay up tonight to watch the game - just not that interesting.

No comments: